Tuesday, December 22, 2015

POEM: "Ordinary Storms"



Ordinary Storms 


I know by now why the Earth hums
The Earth hums because the oceans
Love to strum the bits of land they fill

I know tonight why little kids point
With an arm and a finger to call us out
It's time to see the future and the past


And I know why it rains for everyone
It's because the streets fill with love, else
The night won't fall and I fail to understand
 

Why hum is sometimes an affliction
It's when ordinary storms wake up demons

It's when plants and trees burn with ruin

And I know tonight we misread the future
(I know it's raining, and I'm still not ready)
I know that somehow we've mislaid a planet

The lightning is striking outside my window 
The hum in my ears inside a stolen umbrella
Leaving the bar in a manner timely and respectful.



© 2015 Rob Schackne

No comments:

Post a Comment